Whether you live with babies just learning to crawl, toddlers throwing their toys, or young kids running in muddy shoes, your floors will need to put up with a lot of punishment. We provide you with the best flooring solutions for a home with kids:
- Carpeting: Carpet is a great option if you’re looking for flooring that’s soft under the feet. Carpet is also a natural insulator, so it helps absorb sound, can prevent slips, and provides some extra cushioning for any accidental falls. These are all important considerations to keep in mind if you have kids running about.
- Hardwood Flooring: One of the biggest advantages that hardwood has over carpeting is that it’s easier to clean. Hardwood can also withstand years of abuse from young children and simply requires sanding to repair any marks or scratches. Additionally, hardwood doesn’t collect animal dander, mold, pollen, or dust like carpet does, so it’s good for children who suffer from allergies.
- Bamboo Flooring: Bamboo is one of the most durable and hardest floor choices available. It’s also stain-resistant, so it’s a good choice in areas where children might have accidental spills. It is also very environmental friendly product.
- Cork Flooring: Like carpet, cork is naturally soft beneath your feet even though it has the look of hardwood. One of the main advantages that cork has over carpet is that it’s antimicrobial. It also naturally repels mold growth. When cork is sealed properly, it’s nearly impossible to stain. Cork is anti static, so dirt and dust won’t stick to it like they do carpet. This makes cork very easy to clean and helps kids who suffer from allergies enjoy a cleaner room.
- Vinyl Flooring: Vinyl is a popular flooring material for homes with kids because it’s unaffected by water, resistant to stains, easy to take care of, inexpensive, and very durable. It’s very difficult to rip, tear, or damage vinyl flooring. In most cases, vinyl flooring can stand up to daily life with children.
- Rubber Flooring: Rubber is very strong and can stand up to a variety of conditions. When properly cared for, rubber flooring can last twenty years or longer. It’s also very easy to take care of and clean. This is the reason why you will notice nearly any daycare with rubber flooring. You just need warm, clean water and a mop to keep a rubber floor clean. Rubber can have a noticeable odor. Since rubber is a natural material, the odor isn’t harmful. However, some children find it irritating. If you’re considering rubber for a bedroom or playroom, it is advisable to test how your children react to the odor before you make your purchase.
- Kids’ Floor Mats: If you have carpet or hardwood already installed and you’re considering a temporary floor covering to help protect them while your children are young, consider carpet or rubber floor tiles. This idea is one of the best flooring solutions for kids because it provides a soft place for children to play while protecting the floor underneath. Floor mats at kids’ room are also easy to clean, and if one happens to get damaged, you can simply replace it for new one.
Selecting the best flooring for your kid’s room depends greatly on their level of activity, and just how much of a target that flooring will be. Be sure to choose what makes the most sense for your home and family.